Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Grilled Mexican Corn Salad with Mango and Jicama-WWW





The title is quite a mouthful and so is the salad. Crunchy, cool with a bit of a bite from the radish and sweetness from the grilled corn. This is a great salad to serve as a main course or side dish. It goes together quickly and holds up for a few days in the fridge very well. You could grill the corn in advance with another meal, or pop it on the grill just before assembling, which is what I did. I really enjoy looking for recipes for Em's Weight Watcher Wednesday, about as much as I look forward to what others will be posting that day. You can see the original recipe here. Try this salad, I think you will really like it!







Grilled Mexican Corn Salad with Mango and Jicama
serves 4 as a main course
POINTS® Value: 5

4 medium corn on the cob, shucked
cooking spray
6 medium radishes, red, thinly sliced
1 medium jicama, cut into 1/4-inch cubes (about 1 lb)
1 medium mango(es), ripe, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 Tbsp cilantro, fresh, chopped
3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 large tomato(es), or 2 small, ripe, sliced into eight 1/4-inch-thick slices


Preheat stovetop grill pan or an outdoor grill. Lightly spray corn with cooking spray and grill until browned on all sides, turning occasionally, about 7 to 10 minutes; remove from heat and allow to cool. When cool enough to handle, slice off kernels with a knife into a large bowl.







Add radishes, jicama, mango, cilantro, lime juice, oil, cumin, salt and pepper to bowl; mix to combine.





Place 2 slices of tomato on each of 4 plates and top each with 3/4 cup of corn mixture.

6 comments:

Laura Paterson said...

Wowo - as healthy as can be! But still sounds tasty - well done :)

kat said...

Yum, I'm loving corn salads right now with all this local sweet corn. I bet this one has great crunch with the jicama

Anonymous said...

This looks really tasty. It would be very easy to forget that it's healthy!

Adam said...

Wow what a mix of flavors! Such vegetable sweetness, that looks great :)

Anonymous said...

Because of the foodblogs, I was more inspired to try new and different foods, I am learning a lot and also thanks for sharing your ideas because at the same time I am also trying my best to learn how to prepare (decent meals :-) Busby SEO challenge

KabonFootPrint

tayomismo said...

I was very pleased to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.